Talk and Testimony

 When I was 8 years old, it was my turn to be baptized. I was excited for my special day because I knew I was going to have a fresh start, I knew my sins would be washed away. After my baptism, I received an important gift, the gift of the Holy Ghost. I always knew the role of the Holy Ghost, I knew that he would be my constant companion, he would warn me in times of danger, that he would comfort me in times of need. But I never really learned how to recognize it in my life. Many people say that the Holy Ghost is a still small voice but I've never heard it whisper to my ear! So I was so confused why I didn't hear his voice. In my mission I've learned and still learning how to recognise the spirit. During my first week of my mission, I wrote a letter to my mission president who is full of wisdom counseled me through an analogy. He said "remember you have the gift of the holy ghost". What is even more important with what he counseled me was he said to "unbox that gift". That made me ponder a lot. Up until this day that has never left me and has still been so helpful to me. Most of us in here have the gift of the holy ghost. But have we unboxed that gift? Have we opened it? In my mission I deepened a desire in wanting to understand more and learn more about the gift of the Holy ghost, I wanted to know how I could recognise him in my life more. 


Jacob 4:13 says 13 Behold, my brethren, he that prophesieth, let him prophesy to the understanding of men; for the Spirit speaketh the truth and lieth not. Wherefore, it speaketh of things as they really are, and of things as they really will be; wherefore, these things are manifested unto us plainly, for the salvation of our souls. But behold, we are not witnesses alone in these things; for God also spake them unto prophets of old.


This verse teaches us that the spirit speaks plainly. As a missionary I have taught people that the spirit works in many different ways. In my life I've seen that he works through my ideas, sometimes he works through feelings and sometimes he works through people. And I have seen all that happen in my life but I know there are other people who recognise him in other ways that I've never heard of! And this verse teaches us a lot about the character of the spirit because it helps us understand that the spirit speaks in different ways, he speaks to us in personal ways. Why? Because the spirit speaks to us in a way that we can personally understand, he will speak to us in a language we understand. 


2 Nephi 32:3,5 says "Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do." "For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do"


I like the connection of these 2 verses. The first verse tells us that we must feast upon the words of Christ. We must study the scriptures because we will find knowledge and truth. As a missionary, me and my companion share 3 main lessons that we study about everyday and we love to share this message with everyone as much as we can because we know of the blessings our message or the message of the gospel brings. But sometimes our lessons don't go as planned! Sometimes we plan to teach someone about the book of Mormon but during the lesson it doesn't feel right to teach about it, sometimes the holy ghost gives us a different idea that we need to teach something else. Because as missionaries we study the scriptures everyday, the Lord has promised to give us his spirit which directs us and helps us remember other things that we have studied that is more helpful to our friends. I have had many lessons where we would change the lesson even if we already planned to teach something and it has strengthened my testimony that revelation is real and it comes from God through the spirit. 


Ether 2:15 says "15 And the brother of Jared repented of the evil which he had done, and did call upon the name of the Lord for his brethren who were with him. And the Lord said unto him: I will forgive thee and thy brethren of their sins; but thou shalt not sin any more, for ye shall remember that my Spirit will not always strive with man; wherefore, if ye will sin until ye are fully ripe ye shall be cut off from the presence of the Lord. And these are my thoughts upon the land which I shall give you for your inheritance; for it shall be a land choice above all other lands."


This verse teaches us that the Spirit doesn't dwell in unclean places. We draw ourselves away from the spirit when we don't do things that are pleasing to God


Another question I've always had is how do I know if it's the spirit speaking to me or if it's just me?


Moroni 7:12,13,16 "12 Wherefore, all things which are good cometh of God; and that which is evil cometh of the devil; for the devil is an enemy unto G

For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God."


Many times we may wonder if we should act on a prompting because sometimes we don't know if it's just our thoughts or if it's from the spirit. This verse helps us know that if those are good thoughts, if it invites you to do good then act on that prompting because it's from the spirit. Many times I've questioned myself if I should act on random promptings, I tell myself a lot no that's a weird idea! But many times I also find myself still act on it because those sudden thoughts are not from me I know they are from the spirit because it leads me to do good. 


As I end my talk I want to share an experience I've had several times in my mission. In lessons we have with our friends we have the opportunity to share our testimony. Whenever I testify of our Savior Jesus Christ, whenever I testify of His reality and His love for each one of us and whenever I bear witness of the Book of Mormon I always feel a warmth around me it is something I cannot explain but it is a feeling I only get when I bear my true testimony. I know it is the spirit confirming to me and everyone in the room that it is true.








Cebu Temple Open House Video

children are a blessing

Blog Archive

My Blog List